Friday 7 November 2008

To do or not to do, that is the question......?


I like to try to post at least once a week but I must admit that it is surprisingly difficult to decide on a subject in which I have an interest, and which will be at least of some interest to those reading it. There are only so many subjects which come into this category, although even as I write, my brain is working overtime - I know that to you who know about these things, this might seem rather implausible (I refer to my brain working overtime!), but I discern that perhaps more subjects come in this category than I at first thought; and would you believe it, in the space of yet a few more seconds I have completed a total about-face, concluding that in fact, there are probably only very few subjects that I could not write about! Having waffled this far I have to admit that I would be restrained by ignorance, disinterest, innapropriateness, laziness, and any number of personal weaknesses and idiosyncracies! Thus yet again in the space of just a few more seconds I return to the point at which I began, and unequivocally conclude that yes.. there are indeed only a limited number of subjects on which I could expound. Having got that off my chest, it is now decision time, what do I write about ....? I have discovered over many years that I am reasonably positive when making decisions for my family or other people, but when it comes to making certain decisions for myself I am almost hopeless! Not every decision I hasten to add, but those lesser decisions around which our lives revolve, such as 'Would you prefer tea or coffee?" Or perhaps on those admittedly rare occasions when I go shopping for a new pair of shoes or a pair of trousers or whatever, I find it excruciatingly difficult to make that final choice. Take shoes for example, do you not find that when trying a new pair of shoes for size, inexplicably one shoe always seems much more comfortable than the other? I have discussed this matter with others and understand that it is very common for people to have fractionally different size feet. Whether my confidants were saying this to be kind or whether this is actually true, I'm not really sure. Take trousers now, I can rarely get a pair that is the correct waist size and the correct leg length. I wonder whether perhaps I am slightly deformed but I don't really think that I am- certainly not noticeably so! So why cannot I get a pair of trousers with 38" waist and 30" leg size? I can only ever get 31" leg size, which is just that irritating 1" too long! It doesn't matter how much I pull my trousers up and how tightly I do my belt, the wretched trouser turn-ups, or the place where in days of old the turn-ups were located, always end up splayed, creased and folded across the top of the shoe, making the trousers look exactly what they are -- too long! Thus the reality is, in such circumstances, that my long-suffering wife is obliged to shorten the trouser leg to the correct length, which itself can bring its own problems, particularly if the trousers come equipped with turn-ups. I suspect that this is a chore which my wife really dislikes, getting the machine out and finding enough room on the table, ensuring that the correct needle for the job is in the machine, and then having to replace it as the first one breaks endeavouring to find a way through the thick corduroy; yes I invariably go for corduroys in the belief that they are tough and hard-wearing, and at the same time reasonably presentable and comfortable. To be absolutely frank, I'm not actually convinced that corduroys are that hard-wearing and long-lasting, judging by the number that I seem to discard with serious frays, tears, and splits! So you see, to cut a long story short, or should I say to trim a long leg, I still haven't really decided what to write about! Ah, I know what I'll do, I will show a picture which tells its own story, complemented by a short quote, with thankfully -I can almost hear you say it, very few words from me.

The picture relates to Christ's resurrection from the dead, when the sorrowing Mary Magdalene went to visit the tomb, and found the entrance stone rolled back, the tomb empty and two angelic figures seated there. 'And they say to her, "Woman why weepest thou?" She saith to them, "Because they have taken away my Lord, and I know not where they have laid Him". When she had said this, she turned around, and beholdeth Jesus standing, and she knew not that it was Jesus. Jesus saith to her, "Woman why weepest thou? Whom seekest thou?" She thinking him to be the gardener, saith to him, "Sir, if thou hast carried him away, tell me where thou hast laid him, and I will remove him." Jesus saith to her, "Mary!" She turned and saith to him in Hebrew, "Raboni!" - that is to say, "Master!" Jesus saith to her, "Touch me not; for I have not yet ascended to my Father. But go to my brethren, and say to them, 'I ascend to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God' " (John 20: 11 - 17)

'But there are also many other things which Jesus did, which if they were written every one, the world itself (I think) would not contain the books to be written' (John 21: 25)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Slightly frayed, therwise par for the course." :P Teasing. Enjoyed reading your post with a smile as your thoughts flew about inside, I felt swirled right along! :))You're perfectly imperfect...a.k.a. human. God bless you!

'The First Station - Jesus is Condemned to Death' - Caryll Houselander

  We are now in Holy Week, and this post is taken from Caryll Houselander's book 'The Stations of the Cross', published in 1955 ...